While preventive care is an incredibly valuable tool in mitigating health concerns, it’s never too late to start adopting healthy habits. In fact, a new study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association proves that women over 50 who begin adhering to the Portfolio diet may be less likely to develop cardiovascular disease later in life.
What is the Portfolio diet?
The Portfolio diet contains mostly plant-based foods, which, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), have been shown to lower “bad” cholesterol. The foods in question include:
- Nuts, including peanut butter, peanuts, and more.
- Plant protein from soy, green peas, beans, and tofu.
- Soluble fiber from oats, barley, okra, eggplant, oranges, apples, pears, and berries.
- Monounsaturated fats from olive oil and avocado.
- Limited consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol, like organ meats, high-fat dairy products, eggs, poultry, and butter.